There are multiple ways to import contacts into your VanillaSoft project. In this article, we will go over the process of how to import contacts from a spreadsheet. If you would like to import contacts from a web lead source, the article How to Set Up Incoming Web Leads will overview that process.
Note: Your spreadsheet must be saved in the CSV file format. If you're unsure how to save your spreadsheet as a CSV file, refer to our Save your Spreadsheet as a .CSV File article.
Importing Contacts from Spreadsheet
- Log in to VanillaSoft as an Admin.
- Select the desired Project.
- Open the Contacts & Reports menu and select the Import Contacts section.
- Select Choose File and browse to your CSV spreadsheet
- Once found, select the file and click Open.
- If you have saved mapping, select the desired mapping within the Import Mapping drop-down; otherwise, you can skip this step.
- Open the Import Method drop-down and select the desired method.
- Add Contacts - This option will add all contacts from your spreadsheet into VanillaSoft regardless if there are any duplicates or not.
- Add Contacts / Skip Duplicates - This option will add any new contacts but will skip any duplicates based on the desired field.
- Add / Update Contacts - This option will add any new contacts but will update any duplicates based on the desired field.
- Once your selections have been made, click Next.
- Map all desired fields from your spreadsheet to the corresponding VanillaSoft field.
- VanillaSoft will attempt to determine which fields should be mapped together, but it's always recommended to verify all mapping is correct before proceeding.
- Once your mapping is complete, select Start Import.
Once the import starts, you will be brought to a screen showing your import status and all previous imports. At this time, you are free to navigate away from this page, as this will not affect your import.