When you import files with the same format, you may want to save the mapping to avoid mapping each field manually each time. Using saved mappings expedites importing future .csv files set up in the same field format as the saved mapping.
Save an Import Mapping
- Log in to VanillaSoft as an Admin.
- Select the desired Project.
- Open the Contacts & Reports menu and select the Import Contacts section.
- Select Choose File and browse to your .csv spreadsheet.
- Once found, select the file and click Open.
- Leave the Import Mapping drop-down selected on No Mapping.
- Open the Import Method drop-down and select the desired method.
- Add Contacts - This option will add all contacts from your spreadsheet into VanillaSoft regardless if there are any duplicates or not.
- Add Contacts / Skip Duplicates - This option will add any new contacts but will skip duplicates based on the desired field.
- Add / Update Contacts - This option will add any new contacts and update any duplicates based on the desired field.
- Once you make your selections, click Next.
- Map all desired fields from your spreadsheet to the corresponding VanillaSoft field.
- VanillaSoft will attempt to map the fields, but it is recommended to verify that all mapping is correct before proceeding.
- Once your mapping is complete, select Save Mappings.
- Enter the desired name in the New Mapping Name field.
- Click OK to save.
- You should now see the mapping name in the Import Mapping drop-down.
- This confirms your mapping has been saved and you may continue with your Contact import.
Note: You can only use a saved mapping on future files that are identical in structure, meaning the same number of columns in the same order. The column headers in future .csv files must be identical to the file used in the original mapping. If you attempt to use a saved mapping on a different file structure, the system may return an error. In this case, you will need to map the fields manually.