When you are working inside Salesforce and want to create or edit Salesforce objects (Contacts, Leads, Opportunities, Accounts), Salesforce has defined required fields that are mandatory for saving the object. When creating Salesforce integrations inside VanillaSoft that sends data to Salesforce, these integrations must follow the required fields rules defined by Salesforce. Failure to map required fields could end up with errors when VanillaSoft attempts to send the data.
To assist users in mapping required fields, VanillaSoft identifies which fields are required for each object type.
Note: VanillaSoft enforces the required fields differently depending on the integration Action defined in the configuration of each VanillaSoft to Salesforce integration. Please take note of the following scenarios.
- If the chosen action results in creating an object (lead, contact, opportunity, account):
- If there are any mappings defined, all data mapped will be sent to Salesforce.
- If there is defined mapping for a mandatory field and in VanillaSoft this field is empty, it will be replaced by a default value (N/A for text, 0 for numeric).
- If a mandatory field is not mapped when creating an object, Salesforce will return an error indicating missing mandatory fields. This message will be included in the error email.
- If no mappings are defined there will be error email generated stating that there are no mappings defined for this object. There will be no attempt to send anything to Salesforce in this case.
- If Update existing object (lead, contact, opportunity) is the chosen action:
- If there are any field mappings defined, all data mapped VanillaSoft will be sent to Salesforce.
- If there is a defined mapping for a mandatory field and in VanillaSoft this field is empty it will be replaced by a default value (N/A for text, 0 for numeric).
- If no mappings are defined for the integration, then nothing will be sent to Salesforce.
- If Opportunity mapping is enabled:
- If the action resulted in creating a new Contact or converting an existing Lead to a Contact, the Opportunity is created first and then a Contact is created.
- If in this scenario the Opportunity is created successfully but the next operation fails (contact can't be created or lead converted due to missing mandatory fields) then the new Opportunity will be deleted. The system will send an error email informing the user that the integration attempt failed.
- If some objects (lead, contact, opportunity) are successfully created or updated but then creating a task or event fails:
- All objects created or updated so far (lead, contact, opportunity, other tasks) will remain in Salesforce.
- The user will not be informed that a task/event creation failed.